Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow.

James Dean

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

First Day - Wadong Elementary School

Yesterday, with butterflies in my stomach, I headed out to Wadong Elementary School, for my first day at work. I was slightly anxious because I didn't know what to expect. When I saw my coteacher on friday she never explained to me about what would happen on the first day or even where I should go on my first day. All I knew was that I was to arrive early (7:50 instead of 8:30) and that I should take #711 bus and get off at the bridge.

So I got on the bus at 7:15 and of course it was raining so the windows were fogged and the bus was crowded. I peered anxiously out and watched for the bridge, praying that I didn't miss my stop. Of course I missed it, I saw the bridge as were driving under it. I got off at the next stop and walked back (only 5 minutes so no big deal). I get to the school and there is no one there. In my nervousness and paranoia I start to wonder if I am at the right school. I wander around until another teacher sees me looking lost and directs me to the staff room / vice principals office. First I have to change my shoes because outdoor shoes are not worn inside the school. Fortunatly someone prewarned me so I brought my own shoes rather than wear the ugly, uncomfortable slippers they provide.

I am taken to the Vice-principals office where I sit trying to make small talk with him but his english is very limited. He keeps saying to me :you know Cheryl Tiegs - very pretty" Yesterday was the first day of the new school year so there were a few new teachers and eventually we were all taken into a a larger staff room and introduced to the other teachers. I have no idea what was said about me, all I understood was Cheryl, Canada and Olympics but when they all turned to look at me, I bowed and they clapped.

After that I was introduced to the students via video. They have a seperate room that is a like a movie studio where they record the morning announcements. The children run the video camera and the vice-principal stands at a podium and speaks. All the new teachers and the new principal were introduced this way.

The english classes don't start until next week so I was taken upstairs and shown the english staffroom and given my computer and desk.. I share an office with 3 other english teachers and a music teacher. The rest of the morning was spent preparing lesson plans and getting ready to for classes to start next week.

At lunch time all the new teachers were taken out to a restaurant to have lunch with the new principal. We were taken to a local Korean restaurant where we all had to sit on mat on the floor. It was a little uncomfortable as everyone kept watching me to see how I handled the chopsticks. As well the vice-principal kept coming over and pouring everyone Soju shots. My co teacher later told me the VP likes soju and I should try to avoid him.

The rest of the afternoon was spent doing administrative tasks, going to immigration to apply for my alien registration card and buying my cell phone.

I survived my first day now on thursday I get to go to my second school and possibly do it all over again.

3 comments:

  1. hey cheryl, looks like you sure are having an adventure.. a pretty cool one. I,m printing off your blog and posting it for the girls at work we all miss you! take care for now, love your blog , well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Debbie,

    say hi to everyone for me. I miss you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a different world, I would love to walk down that street exploring. have fun with it .. keep on writng it is very interesting. keith

    ReplyDelete